P’nai Or of Portland is a vibrant, welcoming, and egalitarian Jewish Renewal congregation in Portland, Oregon, currently seeking a quarter-time Rabbi’s Assistant to work directly with Rabbi Hannah Laner, with possibility for more hours in the future.
This person will provide administrative support to our part-time Rabbi in several key areas, including scheduling, communications, and volunteer coordination.
The Rabbi’s Assistant will also interact with the P’nai Or Administrator, as well as with our congregational leadership, our members, and the wider community.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send an email to email@example.com.
· A warm and welcoming demeanor.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Excellent organization skills and attention to detail.
· Strong document editing skills.
· Proven computer skills including proficiency with MS Word, Excel, Google Docs, Google Calendar, and familiarity with Zoom.
· Familiarity with Hebrew and Jewish holidays.
· Access to Hebrew software and the ability to make handouts with prayers in Hebrew, is preferred
· Flexibility around hours worked per week and month, to accommodate the ebb and flow related to the Rabbi’s half time position, and the Jewish High Holy Days
· Experience in a religious organization or other non-profit is a plus
Specific Responsibilities: (majority of work is currently from home due to COVID-19 restrictions)
· Scheduling pastoral meetings with congregants.
· Scheduling meetings with service co-leaders, the Rabbi’s Advisory Va’ad (Spiritual Advisory Council), Executive Committee, Council, and congregational committees.
· Scheduling/organizing the Rabbi’s classes.
· Helping the Rabbi plan and maintain her calendar and reminding her of upcoming meetings.
· Reading, handling, responding to, sorting, and filing email received by the Rabbi.
· Writing/editing emails/communications to congregants, and the wider community.
· Handling communications between the Rabbi and Council.
· Handling communications between the Rabbi and the Administrator.
· Checking in with the Rabbi as defined by the work schedule.
· Checking in with the Administrator at least once a week.
· Updating shared documents from written comments, including High Holy Days service flows (seasonally).
· Creating Shabbat and holiday handouts in conjunction with the Administrator.
· Calling/making requests of congregants on behalf of the Rabbi.
· Editing letters/articles/announcements to be shared with the larger community in conjunction with the administrator
· Communicating with other synagogues in Oregon and beyond, including the Oregon Board of Rabbis and its Introduction to Judaism course.
· Relaying messages by email or phone to organization leaders, congregants, and others in the larger community.
· Maintaining a phone line dedicated to P’nai Or (could be GoogleVoice) so that the Rabbi can leave messages during off hours.
The Rabbi’s Assistant may perform these tasks or oversee volunteers to perform them:
· Ordering/picking up/delivering office supplies, books, etc.
· Printing articles, commentaries, etc.
· Organizing the Rabbi’s home office, after Covid 19 restrictions are lifted
· Printing color copies of shared documents, such as High Holy Day flows.
· Troubleshooting computer technical issues.
· Hosting Zoom calls (when the Administrator is not available).